Dockyard Strop & Compound
Keep your Dockyard tools sharp with the Dockyard Gouge and V Tool Strop from The Carving Glove Guy!
This strop offers a convenient way to maintain a tool edge while you carve. When charged with compound, its multiple profiles (5 MM, 4 MM, 3 MM, 2 MM, 1.5 MM Gouge, and 75° , 90° V angles) make it easy to quickly hone the inside face of a gouge or V-tool.
Compact, it is about 5-1/2" x 3" and comes with a 2 oz container of honing compound.
Made in the USA.
- Wooden strop
- 2oz strop compound
- Small brush
- 4-1/2 x 9-1/2 denim velcro storage pouch
Directions for use:
- Apply compound to the raised and depressed portion of the strop for each size tool you would like to sharpen. Remember, you are sharpening your tools with the compound not the wood. The wood is simply the carrier for the compound.
- The strop is designed so that the compound can sharpen both the inside (remove burs) and the outside of the tool. To sharpen the inside and remove burs on the tool you must pull the tool (trailing the sharp edge) along the raised section so that the compound is able to polish and remove burs along that edge.
- To sharpen the outside of GOUGES: Raise the handle up to make approximately a 20 degree angle with the grove in the strop. This will position the cutting edge against the compound. Rotate the cutting edge as you pull it down the grove to contact all points on the cutting surface.
- To sharpen the outside of V TOOLS: Use the flat bottom grove at the end of the strop. Sharpen one side at a time. Position the handle at a 20 degree angle so the cutting surface on one side of the V tool can contact the compound in the flat grove. With the tool in that position (20 degrees up from the grove) pull the tool the length of the grove. This will sharpen one side of the V tool. Repeat for the other side.
Includes sharpening compound. Replacement compound available separately.